Patrick Fellows — this guy defines the sport of business. Starting a business is hard. Finishing a triathlon, swimming 32 miles, launching a foundation, a marathon, a food truck, and a restaurant… all while having a day-job — is even harder. When it comes to getting things done, Patrick defines it into 4 words: Talk Less, Do More.
I had a chance to sit down with Patrick at his office in Baton Rouge, LA, to talk about a few items on his bucket list, business, and nutrition.
Be sure to get a pen and a pad, his story is jam-packed with ideas and tips to grow your business.
Interview with Patrick Fellows
Sponsored by: Hanley’s Foods — Louisiana-inspired, natural, fresh foods. Just for you, enter “docast” at checkout for $4 off.
- Where did you grow up at? (3:35)
- What got you into this fitness lifestyle? (4:15)
- The UltraMind Solution by Mark Hyman (book mention)
- How did you startup your own catering service? (7:25)
- The start of Rocket Fajitas (9:50)
- “The biggest thing I learned, is that a business failure isn’t necessary a personal failure.”
- Failure is feedback. (11:20)
- What is the brand, Fresh Junkie, all about? (15:15)
- “Healthy living is two parts, it’s food + movement.”
- In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan (book mention)
- Starting the Fresh Junkie Food Truck (23:40)
- What is it that you want to accomplish with a brick & mortar location? (26:30)
- “My goal is to change what people eat, but not how they eat it.”
- Fresh Junkie’s Simplified Menu (photo)
- “You decide what people want.”
- You have a hell of a bucket list, How do you set goals? (35:45)
- Pat’s TED Talk on a 32-Mile Goal (video)
- “Fitness is now my lifestyle.”
- How did you overcome your fear of swimming in open water (swimming 32 miles)? (37:51)
- New Orleans 5150 Triathlon (triathlon mention)
- “I swam from 6 at night to 10 the next morning.”
- Quitting is forever. (41:30)
- “Physical pain goes away after 14 seconds you stop.”
- “Talk less, do more.”
- “If you wait for everything to be just right, you’re never going to do it.”
- Adapt. Learn. (45:30)
- What’s your take on Livestrong? (51:20)
- Creating the Louisiana Marathon (57:00)
- RocketKidz foundation (1:00:00)
- RocketChix triathlon (website mention)
- Louisiana triathlon (website mention)
- Golden Flier race (website mention)
- What do you like to do outside the office? (1:03:27)
- What’s next on the bucket list (1:05:00)
- What’s a book, a song, and a quote that you love? (1:03:05)
- What’s next and where can people find you? (1:06:09)
CONTEST: In celebration of our 10th episode, I’m giving away a DO poster to the best comment on this page. To enter, simply leave a comment with one action item you are going to do today to improve your life or business. The winner will be announced on the next episode with Dennis Iannotti (Nuts ‘N More).
Check out Pat at:
Website: FreshJunkie Racing
UPDATE: I apologize, when rendering the audio, a portion of my previous podcast got mingled up with this episode. If you heard that, please re-download the episode as I took that out.
Play the interview
The DOcast is a podcast of interviews from amazing entrepreneurs who are doing the unthinkable. With topics on how they got started, where they’re going, and how you can learn from them.
[powerpress] Subscribe at:
– iTunes (please support the show by leaving a 5 star review)
– Stitcher Radio
– The blog (in-which you’ll get more)
DO it big.